List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Customizing GUIs [was Re: delete logout icon?]
From:       "Andrew B. Arthur" <arthur99 () global2000 ! net>
Date:       1999-08-02 22:29:02

> Wait a second...your question below, trang, indicates you're extremely
> new to linux. Did you know that the menu sizes, the font sizes, pretty
> much _everything_ is customizable?

Well, not everything is *easily* customizable. The GNOME panel for example
has a minimum of 48 pixels height--it's hard coded into the code (according
to gnome hacker Miguel de Icaza), you might be able to mess with it in the
source code I guess. That will be fixed in a future version of GNOME, so
keep your fingers tight or patch it yourself. You can however make the GNOME
panel collapse when you aren't using it (by changing a gnome setting), or
minimize it using the arrows on the side.

Changing the Enlightenment theme to any different then Clean_big will make
your title bar smaller (via using Ethemes, as showcased on the web at
e.themes.org).

> The default sizes, even at 1024x768,
> were "oversized" to me as well.

I don't mind the size to much at 1024x768 on my monitor, although I do make
the gtk+ text from 12-point down to 10-point. (if you are using gnome).
`
> If you right click on the desktop, try switching themes around, or using the K
> themes, or explore your GUI settings a bit.

Which reminds me, KDE-1.2 will include lots of cool Window Manger / color
themes, some which are looking quite nice. Another thing worth mentioning is
that KDE-1.2 will support those pretty darn nice 48x48 32-bit icons, which
are by the far the best looking icons on any platform. Coming to desktops
like yours around labor day weekend if all goes well.

Then there is KDE-2.0, which uses qt-2.0, which allows full theme-ability
just like gtk+ and Enlightenment. It also includes Koffice, an full featured
office suite that is looking quite nice now (stability, bringing KSpread and
Kformula up to date are the main focuses now). KWord and Kpresentor seem to
be working nicely at this point and KSpread just needs alot of
hookups--functionality is in good shape. Expect it somewhere around
Christmas to as late as March 2000.

GNOME 1.0.50 will try to make GNOME as stable as possible for the 1.0
branch--from there on out people will be working on GNOME 1.1, (to be
renamed when stable version 1.2 or 2.0) which will add some new GUI
enhancements and strong cross-compatiblity with KDE.

sorry... you just got me on to a desktop environments discussion ;-)

Thanks,

Andrew Arthur a.k.a. AArthur
arthur99@global2000.net
AIM: arthur998

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-user mailing list. Replies are ]]
[[ not forced back to the list, so be sure to  Cc linuxppc-user  if your ]]