List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: PCI Ethenet Card
From:       Matthew Reilly <mjreilly () flashcom ! net>
Date:       1999-03-31 17:32:30

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:04:39 peter@dynamic.net.au wrote:
> I am a rookie to linuxppc
>
> I have a Farallon 10/100 card which is  based on the 3com 3c595 (as
> identified on this list)
>
> My 2 questions are
>
> Can I put a Wintel PCI Card (ie one with no mac drivers) in my PCI Mac and
> will
> linuxPPC see it ? (I expect so, just that the mac will ignore it and just
> use my existing
> Farallon 10/100 on the mac side of things)

I would assume so, your safest bet it to go with a card that is based on
a DEC chip.

> Also
> If I want to buy another PCI NIC For the Mac that will work on both sides
> how do I findout what chip set it uses ? (otherwise can anone recommend a PCI card I should buy ?)

I had the exact same problem you seem to have had. I bought the Farallon
10/100 card and then discovered after much hair pulling that it wouldn't
work. I recently gave up and bought a DaynaPort card from Small Dog.
It's based on the DEC chip and should work now fine on both sides. Funny
thing is that the mac driver supplied with the card wouldn't work. Dayna
was bought out by Intel and they discontinued all Mac products so I
don't think the driver was very current (The floppy said copyright
1996!) I downloaded Farallon's 10BT driver (their 10BT card is also DEC
based) and now the mac can use the card. On the Linux side just compile
in the generic DEC drive and you're off.

> thanks
> - - Peter

Matthew Reilly
mjreilly@flashcom.net

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-user mailing list. Replies are ]]
[[ not forced back to the list, so be sure to  Cc linuxppc-user  if your ]]