List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] Need to update firmware on Dell PowerEdge 2970 (9g)
From:       Robert Jacobson <teridon () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-10-23 13:01:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I know this is a very late reply but I would like to point out a "gotcha"
when using a Dell Repository Manager ISO to update firmware.

If you plan on using the iDRAC to mount the bootable ISO, then *make sure
the firmware on your iDRAC is up-to-date before you start*!  Otherwise the
bootable ISO will update the DRAC firwmware while you're using it, and the
DRAC will get disconnected -- leaving your firmware update process hung
(i.e. the remote system will no longer be able to read from the ISO and
will therefore hang).  You should be able to reconnect but you'll have to
restart the system and boot from the ISO again to do the rest of the
updates.

The workaround is again to just update the firmware on the iDRAC first --
e.g. using the iDRAC web interface, or any other built-in method for
updating it (e.g. running the DRAC firwmware update from within the OS, if
possible).