List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] Thoroughly testing SAS disks
From:       Thomas Mieslinger <miesi () pc-h ! de>
Date:       2013-06-24 20:47:00

On 06/24/2013 10:20 PM, Dave Sparks wrote:
> If you have a PERC running a consistency check can be useful to test.  The command \
> is something like:
> MegaCli -LDCC -Start -LALL -aALL
>
> I've noticed that on arrays that are infrequently written to but read all the time \
> this will find plenty of inconsistencies.  This begs the question why the Patrol \
> Read checks never find these inconsistencies?  Patrol Read appears to be not so \
> useful.

Wohoa... if that is the case then one really wants to move the job of
the raid controller to a software like btrfs, zfs or reFS. I only have
experience with zfs, and it helped me to make useful use of Hard drives
behind areca Raidcontrollers. If something broke very hard, zfs could
tell which file was inconsistent.

Today I read about a new buzzword "software defined storage". So...