List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    Broadcom NIC on PowerEdge T300
From:       Kaspar Fischer <fischerk () inf ! ethz ! ch>
Date:       2008-05-21 20:46:16

Dear list,

I am trying to install Debian Etch 4.0r3,

   http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r3/i386/iso-cd/debian-40r3-i386-netinst.iso

on a PowerEdge T300 server.

Everything works nicely up to the point where the Debian installer
searches for network cards: it does not find any, even though the
T300,

   http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/pe_t300_spec_sheet.pdf

comes with two NICs (I think they are Broadcom NICs).

It seems that the kernel on the installer CD is too old to recognize
them, right?

Is there an installer with a more recent kernel out there? Or
should I ignore the network card on the installation and update
the kernel later on? The latter sounds a little complicated, so
I am hoping for an eas(ier) solution ;-)

Many thanks,
Kaspar