List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    Re: Newbie question on Windows repositories
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2008-03-28 16:22:55

On Thursday 06 March 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Davide Ferrari wrote:
> >> I should say that I run Linux 95% of the time -
> >> probably 99% for this machine -
> >> but I'm afraid I would trust a Windows update eg of the BIOS
> >> slightly more than an update under Linux.
> >
> > May I suggest you to erase Windows XP and Fedora, install lastest CentOS
> > which is a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) clone, which is 100% supported
> > by Dell. Then you can do everything (like updating bios without a glitch)
> > and don't worry about Windows XP (a client operating system) repositories
> > for a server family.
>
> I thought at first I'd just ignore this advice,
> as the suggestion that I delete my Windows partition
> seemed to me to reflect a fundamentalist philosophy.
>
> Whether there is or is not a Windows partition
> is completely irrelevant, as far as I can see,
> to the question whether Fedora or Centos is a more appropriate Linux
> system.

The answer is simple: run what is supported. Neither XP nor Fedora are. RHEL
is, and thus CentOS, although Dell doesn't officially say that ;) Running XP
is pretty useless, unless you want to use that system as a toy or a
spiffed-up workstation.

I'd be much more hesitant of running a BIOS update under XP than under latest
CentOS. I can't say whether x64 is a better choice, though -- it depends on
what your end use is gonna be. I don't run x64 on Dell hardware so I can't
elaborate any more.

Cheers, Kuba