List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    RE: spare disk caddies on 2900?
From:       <David_Kewley () dell ! com>
Date:       2008-03-03 21:02:52

For the PE 2900, there are two 3.5" HD carrier part numbers, one for
SATA and one for SAS, and a blank "carrier":

        DP/N  description
        ===== ===========
 SATA: CC852 "ASSY,CARR,HD,SATA,UNIV,1IN"
  SAS: F9541 "ASSY,CARR,HD,SAS,UNIV,1IN"
blank: H7511 "ASSY,CARR,BLNK,HD,UNIV,1IN,2"

Here are the screws for attaching the drive to the SAS or SATA carrier:

screw: 1213C "SCR,6-32X1/4",FLH,MS,ZPS,CTSK"  (need 4 per drive -- see
next)

I'm almost completely sure this is one screw each, so to attach a hard
drive as far as I know you'd need to order four of 1213C.

These are all 3.5" drives for the PE 2900.  It appears the PE 2950 and
PE 1950 accept these same parts; these models also accept 2.5" drives,
which will have completely different part numbers, of course.  The PE
1955 blade server *only* accepts 2.5" drives.  As far as I know the 2950
is *not* offered with 2.5" drives.  There are many other PowerEdge
models, of course, and the details for those will be different.

Do not rely on this information when placing an order -- your sales
person will make sure you get the right parts.  In fact, I do not know
what Dell's policy is on selling these as new parts.  I simply offer
this information for guidance, and hope it helps!

David

David Kewley
Dell Infrastructure Consulting Services
Cell: 602-460-7617