List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    What are my options for expanding storage on a PE 1550?
From:       Gene Hastings <ghastings+dell () icarnegie ! com>
Date:       2007-05-31 17:00:21

Running SuSE 9.3. PERC3-DCL-64 RAID controller. 2 of 3 drives
mirrored, 1 standalone.

What are the tradeoffs between replacing the 3 current 36 GB disks
with larger ones, and adding an external drive/array? I see that
there is a SCSI interface on the back panel, but I've not found any
information as to whether it can be used.

Adding external storage would be the least disruptive, operationally,
but I think more expensive than replacing the internal disks if the
add-on enclosure is rack-mountable.

All observations welcome.

Thanks,
Gene Hastings