List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    Re: openmanage on poweredge sc 1425
From:       Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch () dell ! com>
Date:       2006-07-31 13:35:20

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 03:21:03PM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to try OpenManage 5.0 on the cluster of PowerEdge 1425
> machines we have, but I'm having a hard time understanding what I can
> expect to work and what not.  It is my understanding that these machines
> lack hardware support for certain features, hence I cannot expect
> everything to work.  But I would appreciate a hint on what I can expect,
> and how to get started.
>
> I'm running both RHEL4 and FC5 on these machines.
> Following the instructions on the yum repository page, I get several
> failures, because some of the RPM's seem to do a system check and then
> fail to install because the system is not supported.  I assume this is
> normal ?
>
> I have been able to do some basic IPMI testing and that seems to work,
> but I would like to know what else I can do outside of IPMI. Given the
> model number, where do I find out what things are supported ?
>
> Output from yum install follows.

The key part of the output is here:

> srvadmin-omilcore: not supported on this system (sysid=019A)

OMSA is, by design, not intended to work on PowerEdge SC (Simplified
Computing) systems.  OMSA is considered a feature of true PowerEdge
servers, not the SC line.

As you've found, the 1425SC does in fact have a Baseboard Management
Controller very similar to that of its big brothers in the PowerEdge
x8xx line, so the openipmi device driver, and IPMI applications such
as OpenIPMI's suite and ipmitool, work just fine on it.  As for the
rest of the OMSA features, I'm afraid not.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch