List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    RE: Disconcerting journal commit I/O error RHEL+2.6.9-34.0.2
From:       "Jason Wozniak" <jwozniak () henkels ! com>
Date:       2006-07-28 14:13:12

I've experienced lock ups on my 2850's, but I'm not sure it was the
exact problem you describe.  I had my 6850 lock up with no logging of
errors, however my 2850 logged errors for the virtual cdrom, and I had
seen the same errors on my 6850 before.  I disabled the virtual cdrom in
the DRAC, and haven't had a problem since.  I've got my fingers crossed,
as it's only been about a month since the last occurrence.

I had also experienced lock ups on another 6850, and a 2850 when running
diagnostics on the drac under server administrator 4.5.  I caused this
to occur with Dell on site to investigate the problem(after we made lots
of noise).  The point is I've had nothing but problems with the Dell
DRAC's over the past year.  If you're in doubt, and don't need it
disable it is my motto.

I'm still running server administrator 5.0 with the drac's in all my
servers disabled on
Redhat 2.6.9-34.0.2.ELsmp/largesmp for the past month in production with
no further issues.  I also run on disk oracle backups of half a terabyte
which is a lot of writes.  I've seen the journal commit IO error in the
past, on a 6650 generally when I experienced problems with the raid
controller, and saw errors on the scsi bus.  I don't recall seeing this
error recently.

I saw one of the Dell techs post on this list that the Dell Drac can
reset for various reasons which looks like a hot plug event on the pci
express bus, and to set hdf=ide-scsi on the kernel boot options.  Only
Linus Torvalds describes this module as cr*p to put it bluntly, thus I
find disabling the DRAC's virtual cdrom to be a much more satisfying way
of making sure it doesn't screw with the other scsi devices in the
system.

Our problems could be completely unrelated, but since you seem to be
grasping at straws I thought I'd give you my 2 cents on which one to
grasp.