List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    RE: Need To Reconfigure Speed and Duplex on Ethernet Adapter
From:       jason andrade <jason () rtfmconsult ! com>
Date:       2004-11-30 0:12:44

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Peter Mueller wrote:

>> or i think mii-tool is the preferred one now.
>
> Well that's certainly not true.  Mii-tool doesn't even support gigabit nics

ah, thanks for the correction.  i've probably mixed up which is 'new' and
which is 'old'.

> sure it is an interesting story.  I would guess it has something to do with
> mii-tool not having changed in 60 bazillion years?

still worked for me though :-)

[root@luna root]# mii-tool -v
eth0: 10 Mbit, full duplex, link ok
   product info: vendor 00:00:00, model 0 rev 0
   basic mode:   10 Mbit, full duplex
   basic status: link ok
   capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
   advertising:  100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD

> Yes, unless you need the network to be up faster on reboot.  I always leave
> my routers with autonegotiate off.  On old catalyst switches this would save
> ~30 seconds!  Sometimes ethtool is also useful for debugging or load-testing.

i guess this is a function of old switches but i haven't seen this
behaviour for some years now.

regards,

-jason