List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    AW: PERC3/Di crashed again
From:       "Matthias Pigulla" <mp () webfactory ! de>
Date:       2004-10-29 10:56:52

> The only chance is a syslog host or a ssh window with a
> continuous running "tail -f /var/log/messages" which will
> show the logfile lines when they arrive in buffer cache
> (before they die on their way to the disconnected disks).

I am still trying to figure out why we did not get _any_ log message at
all, although we're logging to a remote loghost (using syslog-ng). I
suspect that the problem is not that you're unable to write the message
to /var/log/somewhere, but that events are passed to the log daemon
through /dev/log. If that is affected by the controller crash
(remounting the fs containing /dev readonly?), the messages don't even
reach the log daemon and thus won't even show up on the console?

Best regards,
Matthias