List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    Re: Debian OMSA
From:       Sean McAvoy <sean.mcavoy () megawheels ! com>
Date:       2004-05-31 15:25:13

Hello,
I was able to to get omsa working on Debian with kernel-source-2.4.26
by doing the following:
Install dellomsa-drivers_4.71-3653_i386.deb with the running kernel's
sources linked to /usr/src/linux-2.4
and /usr/src/linux (I'm not 100% that last was is needed). This should
work on any kernel,I've tried both
kernel.org and debian kernel source. If you have issues building it you
might want to run `make dep` on the
source tree if you have not actually built a kernel with the source
(i.e. if you installed kernel-source-2.4.26 and just unpacked it)
After you have installed dellomsa-driver successfully, you need to
ensure the esm.o that builds and installs fine is protected from being
deleted. I use chattr +i on the esm.o module file, not even root and
remove or delete, link to the file until chattr -i is used on the file.
Test it out by attempting to move the file,
it should fail even as root.
Now you can install the latest dellomsa-drivers and it should not fail
(as it will detect an existing esm.o and load it). You can now also
install dellomsa without issue, and it should be ready to go.

On 30-May-04, at 7:50 PM, Greg Cockburn wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> I am having the same problem you are having with debian and kernel
> 2.4.26.
>
> Did you ever fix this? If so do you mind me asking what the fix was.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg.
> --
> Greg Cockburn