List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    RE: split backplane on PowerEdge 2650: win or no?
From:       Eric Swenson <eric () reaction-eng ! com>
Date:       2004-05-26 23:12:48

I'm not sure about the PE2650, but I can definitely testify that the
split backplane with a non-perc, non-raid card works great on a PE4600.
I have one side connected up to a Perc3DI running RAID1 for /, and the
other side connected to an Adaptec 39160 on a PCI-X slot, with 4 36GB
U320 15K rpm drives.  Each pair of U320 drives is mirrored together with
software raid, and then each mirror is striped  together.  I get a
sustained 140 Megabytes/sec to that array, which is about 10x as fast as
my Perc3/DI mirror.

Eric