List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    RE: changing write policy on PERCs
From:       Matt_Domsch () dell ! com
Date:       2003-01-30 5:03:23

> I'm having write performance problems on a PE 2300 (ROMB) and

PE2300 doesn't have a ROMB.  Maybe you mean 2400?

> a PE 6300 (PERC 2/SC), and am considering changing the write
> policies from the default write-thru to write-back.

Only if you have a battery-backed cache will the firmware let you do this.
Neither PE2400 ROMB nor PERC2/SC have such.

> Can I do this without endangering the data on the containers?

If you have a battery-backed cache and you're sure to let it get flushed to
disk sometime (say, even following a hard reset) then yes.  On a normal
shutdown the driver will try to write out the cache if needed too.

--
Matt Domsch
Dell Linux Solutions www.dell.com/linux