List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    Re: kernel hanging problem - nfs?...
From:       jason andrade <jason () dstc ! edu ! au>
Date:       2002-12-28 1:44:54

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Wesley T. Perdue wrote:

> Nope; just switched 100.  I had read somewhere that 8192 was ideal on a LAN.  So \
> 1024 is ideal for switched 100, based on the 1500-byte Ethernet packet and the \
> 1024-byte disk block, correct?

8192 is great for a LAN provided you are not using a Linux NFS server with
UDP (the default nfs server behaviour).  it works well if you have a solaris
or *BSD or almost any other OS as the server and Linux as a client, but not
any combination involving Linux as a NFS server.

Linux does a reasonable job as a NFS server with 1K nfs packets.

i believe the 1024 size has something to do with the way packet fragmentation
is handled in linux and the interaction with the nfs implementation but i have
heard various reasons and cannot claim to understand the problems in depth, only
the symptoms (and some of the workarounds).

regards,

-jason