List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    RE: poweredge 2650
From:       Matt_Domsch () dell ! com
Date:       2002-11-27 17:14:23

> We just bought our first Dell Poweredge 2650............;and I have a
> few questions about this machine,and I hope someboy can help
> met with those?
> *	That machine hase a 'built-in' network card , which is
> configured at
> boot time. (bios?) . What is the purpose of that card? What can I do
> with that?

Dell embeds at least one ethernet NIC port on all of our PowerEdge servers
now.   BIOS supports the chip, as well as all OSs, so use it like you would
any other network card.  Because BIOS can use it, you can PXE boot the
machine off of a network file server (instead of off the local hard disks),
a neat feature for installing OSs, running diskless servers, etc.

> *	I downloaded Dell OpenManage, but it doesn't want to
> install on RedHat
> 8.0 - because he doesn't accept the kernel. Is there any 'workaround'
> for this, so that I can still install this?

Dell hasn't yet released a version of OpenManage Server Adminstrator that
supports Red Hat Linux 8.0.  The current release supports RHL7.3.  A new
release should be available in a few weeks which will support RHL8.0.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch