List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    Re: Changing partitions -- need to reboot?
From:       Robert Macaulay <robert_macaulay () dell ! com>
Date:       2002-10-31 14:08:28

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Nathan Vack wrote:
> However, when I add new partition (I'm using cfdisk), the program tells
> me that I need to reboot for the changes to take effect. I always have
> lids turned off while I'm twiddling the partition table (of course) so I
> don't think this is the problem. All I've found googling comes down to
> "reboot if it tells you to."

Do you have other partitions active on the drive that you are
partitioning? I've found that the LUN needs to be unused(all filesystems
unmounted, swap off) for fdisk to be able to re-read the new partition
table.

Partitioning /dev/sda will usually always take a reboot since you have
/ mounted and in use.

If you have a seperate lun for the websites, you could umount all the
websites' filesystems, partition the disk, then remount the filesystems.
That will eliminate a reboot, but you still need the websites files
offline.

One other option would be to look into a volume manager such as LVM or
EVMS, but I haven't done any real testing of either.

Robert