List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    memory dimms for onboard raid controllers ?
From:       jason andrade <jason () dstc ! edu ! au>
Date:       2002-10-31 6:44:21

Hi,

So i'm quite puzzled at the moment by this.

I have a 2550 in which i had a 3rd party memory dimm installed
(128M PC100 CL2 ECC simm) and it was working fine.  i had
containers created, redhat installed etc.

I recently upgraded it from some old version of the firmware to
the latest 2.7-1 and everything is still fine.

I then went to test something else which required me to remove
the RAID dimm, and then put it back and lo and behold, the system
no longer recognises it (Unsupported DIMM!).

Has the latest firmware got something in it to check for something
specific in the dimm type ?  It was quite annoying as i've had to
disable another machine to find an original Dell dimm, which of
course is perfectly detected and things work..

I'm contemplating whether i have to go down the track of installing
a dell dimm, downgrading the firmware, installing the old dimm
back and then reupgrading the firmware.. bleah.

regards,

-jason