List:       linux-poweredge
Subject:    PowerEdge6400 PCI Interrupt Bug
From:       Curtis Rubel <crubel () compro ! net>
Date:       2002-03-27 20:29:51

Hello all,

        We have recently discovered what appears to be
a PCI Interrupt bug in the PowerEdge 6400 Server system.
When we have 3 PCI boards installed into slots 2, 5, and 6,
the system will lock up during periods of PCI interrupt activity.
It appears if we removed the board from slot 6, the system
runs ok.  Reinstall that same board in a different slot and it
runs ok..any board installed in slot 6 and the system hangs.

        We removed 2 cpus and installed the required terminator
boards and retested.  All boards installed as above and the system
is running fine, removed the 2 cpus and installed the other 2 cpus
just to make sure we do not have a bad cpu, and the system still
runs ok.

        We have already had the motherboard replaced once, but
I cannot be sure that this is not still a motherboard problem, since
we were not down to this level before the original motherboard was
replaced.

        We are running the vanilla Linux kernel 2.4.18 at this time, system
has 1GB of memory, system bios is at rev A10.

        I just wanted to get this posted in case there is someone else
with a similar problem.  If/When we get this resolved I will post the
fix for all.

Regards,

Curtis Rubel                                   Compro Computer Services, Inc.
Product Development Engineer   105 East Drive
Office: (321)727-2211                  Melbourne, FL 32904
Cell: (321)258-9348                      Email: curtis@compro.net