List:       linux-pci
Subject:    RFC: Breaking changes around pci.ids
From:       Martin =?utf-8?B?TWFyZcWh?= <mj () ucw ! cz>
Date:       2018-12-31 15:42:20

Hello, world!\n

Over the years, several problems have accumulated around handling
of PCI vendor/device/subsystem IDs in pciutils. Some of them will
probably require breaking changes to the PCI ID database and the
pci.ids file.

Before I start changing anything, I would like to solicit comments
on what could be improved and what should be kept as-is.

The most important issues I see are:

  - Some vendors (most importantly AMD) use the same device ID
    for a family of devices, which are further differentiated
    by Revision ID. This will probably require separate names
    for revisions.

  - Motherboards frequently use the same subsystem ID for all
    on-board devices. This leads to duplication of subsystem
    entries and unnecessary effort for maintaining them.
    (Stand-alone subsystems tied to no particular device are
    already partially implemented, but they never made it to
    the web interface.)

Do you have any further ideas?

		Have a nice new year
					Martin