List:       linux-omap
Subject:    flashing of x-loader and u-boot
From:       ksriram () ti ! com (Sriram, Kannan)
Date:       2007-06-28 1:20:20

NAND devices can develop bad blocks. We always give enough room to keep
4 copies of the Xloader, in 4 different blocks each (blocks 0 - 3) for
redundancy.

On a 512 byte page sized NAND device (a.k.a small page NAND) this works
out to 0x10000 bytes of space, because each block is 16Kbytes.

The boot ROM on the OMAP understands this, and always scans the blocks
in sequence (only blocks 0 - 3) to find a valid Xloader.

Ideally, you should be flashing the X-loader four times (to each of the
blocks 0,1,2,3 on the NAND device) to be fail-safe. But most (if not
all) NAND devices are guaranteed to always have the first block as good,
so this redundancy may not always be necessary though.