List:       linux-omap
Subject:    Basic question: how to flash omap system with ccs?
From:       jon-hunter () ti ! com (Hunter, Jon)
Date:       2005-11-29 9:13:46

Hi Li,

> Thank you Jon, but I cannot follow the steps.
>
> At first when I ran the "Setup CC Studio v3.1" I couldn't
> choose the factory board osk5912.  If I choose it, there will
> be a popup says "One or more resource is invalid. Check that
> device drivers actually exist. You may have to remove bad
> resource to exit setup."  So I can only choose omap1610 via
> xds560 emulator and selected the osk5912.gel in properties.
> It seems that CCS has connected to the board.  I loaded the
> file restore/uboot/osk5912-uboot-1.1.1.out on the OSK5912
> CD-ROM and pressed "Run".  But I got the following errors:
>
> FlashWriter Version 1.7a
> Starting Download to NOR Flash
> Image is 89464 bytes long
> Reading Image from: 10010000
> Writing Image to:  0C000000
> No Flash devices have been found
>
> I am quite confused why it tried to write image to 0c00000?
> Does the flash address start from 00000000?

The flash device is connected to CS3 on the device which by default is
actually mapped to address 0x0c000000. The internal boot-rom on the
device is mapped to address 0x0. When the device starts up it always
starts running code from the internal boot-rom. However, one of the
first things the boot-rom does is read gpio13. If gpio13 is pulled low
(JP3 in position 2-3) then the boot-rom will jump to CS3 and execute
whatever is in the flash device when the device starts up.

Did you have jumper JP3 in position 1-2 when you downloaded u-boot with
CCS?

If you do, can you read address 0xfffecc0c on the device using CCS. This
is the address of the EMIFS_CONFIG register. Bit 1 in this register
allows you to swap the physical mapping of CS0 and CS3. If bit 1 is 0
then CS0 is mapped to address 0x0 and CS3 is mapped to address
0x0c000000. Otherwise, if this bit is 1 then, CS0 is mapped to address
0x0c000000 and CS3 is mapped to address 0x0. If this is set to 1 then
you could manually try clearing this bit before you download and run
u-boot.

Regards,
Jon