List:       linux-ntfs-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] A funny story (not! but a useful thing to know)
From:       Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 () cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2006-05-31 14:41:52

On Wed, 31 May 2006, Yuval Fledel wrote:
> On 5/31/06, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 May 2006, Gary L. Greene Jr. wrote:
> > > Likely for this you'll need some sort of kernel daemon to allow the
> > account
> > > mapping to work without putting too much policy in kernel. The account
> > mapper
> > > then can be configured by the site admin via a file (e.g
> > /etc/ntfsd/usermap)
> > > This poses a small problem as OSX and Linux as you pointed out are two
> > > different beasts....
> >
> > Not a kernel daemon, a user space one that the kernel talks to.  But yes
> > that is one idea.  The other idea (which I like more) is to check out what
> > Samba does as I believe they already do user mapping and see if can just
> > plug into that framework.  If so Samba is both on OSX and Linux so that
> > would be great...
>
> Samba does not deal with this.

Sorry, then substitute s/Samba/winbindd/ above...  I thought winbindd
was part of Samba...

> From Linux/fs/cifs/README:
> ----
> Note that uid, gid and file permissions will display default values if you do
> not have a server that supports the Unix extensions for CIFS (such as Samba
> 2.2.5 or later).
> ----
>
> Samba does use winbindd, which is entirely in the user-space. And in
> any case, not every machine that has NTFS has winbindd installed. e.g.
> local Windows users. It will be usefull for ntfsd to use winbind if it
> is available.

It would be easy to just require winbindd.  It is no different to
requiring ntfsd to be installed...

> NFS has a user-space daemon that does something similar.

Interesting.  I will have a look at that in addition to winbinnd when I
get to doing this stuff...  Thanks for pointing this out.

Best regards,

	Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer, http://www.linux-ntfs.org/