List:       linux-ntfs-dev
Subject:    [Linux-NTFS-Dev] Re: ntfsresize in 1.11.2?
From:       Szakacsits Szabolcs <szaka () sienet ! hu>
Date:       2005-08-25 18:07:41

Hi Anton,

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> Could you tell me if ntfsresize output has changed at all in 1.11.2?

Error and information messages always improve to clarify why ntfs resizing
is refused and what users should do to resolve identified problems.

Outputs used by front-ends are not changed since 1.9.0 and no such plan for
the next two decades either ;-)

Resizing faulty disks need the --bad-sectors option and reading the related
section in the ntfsresize manual (and hopefully the front-end support will
also notify the user about the bad disk).

> Carl-Daniel from SUSE was asking on IRC last night because he is
> updating ntfsprogs from 1.11.1 to 1.11.2 in SUSE 10.0 beta 3...

Cool! :-) 1.11.2 is __highly__ recommended.

BTW, could you please also tell him that the error message, which YAST
gives if resizing is refused, confuses and misleads users? No matter if
NTFS is hibernated, has bad sectors, corrupted, etc it always gives this
message:

   Due to limitations in the NTFS resizer, the file system can be only
   shrunk by up to: 0 MB. To be able to shrink the file system more, boot
   your Windows system and run a disk defragmentation program under Windows
   to move the used blocks of the file system towards the start of the
   partition.

Two problems with the above text:

  1) Catching conditions when resizing is unsafe is IMHO not a limitation
     but a condition. They are more like warnings for the user, not errors.

  2) Defragmentation is not needed at all, it's completely pointless. This
     is also incorrect in all SUSE manuals and documentation.

BTW2, I'm afraid [lib]parted can still corrupt partition tables if the
number of heads are 240 (mainly laptops). They could perhaps test and
definitely keep in mind this (the problem manifests only in some rare
case).

Cheers,
 	Szaka