List:       linux-ntfs-dev
Subject:    Re: [Linux-NTFS-Dev] utf8
From:       Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 () cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2002-03-04 17:44:45

At 16:15 01/03/02, eawalth wrote:
>I was using uni_xlate in an earlier version of the NTFS driver (the
>driver in the linux 2.4.4 kernel) to mount a ntfs partition. This
>feature is no longer supported.

Correct. I removed the mount option and all associated code as it was not
working properly (it was not fully implemented, i.e. only the readdir and
lookup methods implemented it). Further, the translations were using the
colon which is a reserved ntfs character (denoting named streams in
Windows) which I don't want to see used for anything else as it is bound to
break things in the future.

>I have tried iocharset=utf8 and utf8=1 options, but they don't translate
>the text correctly. I do not get numbers--I get characters. Is this not
>working or am I doing something wrong.

The utf8 options do translate the text correctly and no you are not doing
anything wrong. As their name suggests they translate into UTF-8 which is
an ASCII compatible multi-byte Unicode encoding (with eight bits per byte)
encoding. It is up to the user to be using correct terminal
emulators/settings which understand UTF-8 and have the appropriate fonts so
the characters can be displayed properly.

So yes, you get characters and not numbers expressed as text and this is a
feature, not a bug.

What exactly is the problem this is causing to you?

Best regards,

         Anton

--
   "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/