List:       linux-nilfs
Subject:    Re: grub nilfs2 module
From:       Ryusuke Konishi <ryusuke () osrg ! net>
Date:       2010-02-09 11:07:53

Hi,
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:21:39 +0900 (JST), Ryusuke Konishi wrote:
> > OK, sure.  It's against bazaar repository, so you have to build
> > it from repository source instead of latest stable release tarball.
> >
> > To build with stable release(1.97.2), you need to modify fs/nilfs2.c
> > not to use grub_xasprintf, but use grub_malloc and grub_sprintf.
> >
> > You may get reject for makefile, but I think it'll be OK.
> >

> > Here are the instruction to retrieve grub repository and build the softoware.
> >
> > $ bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/trunk/grub
> > $ cd grub
> > $ patch -p0 < /path/to/the/patch
> > $ sh autogen.sh
> > $ ./configure
> > $ make
> >
> > you need "make install" as usual.  It will install under /usr/local
> > without giving any parameters for ./configure.
> >
> > The "make install" won't install grub to MBR.
> > To install grub into MBR, you have to "grub-install" to target disk.
> >
> > For example, assume that you have nilfs2 filesystem on hdb1,
> > mounted on /mnt and want to enable hdb as bootable.  You'll do
> >
> > # grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/hdb
> >
> > This will install grub into hdb's MBR and other required files into
> > following 32KiB blocks.  Fuhtermore, it'll install files under
> > /mnt/boot/grub.  Those files are not required to boot grub to read
> > the filesystem.
> >
> > hdb is now self bootable disk.  You'll just connect it as hdb and
> > grub will boot up.
> >
> > Note, during grub-install, /boog/grub/grub.cfg will be copied int to
> > /mnt/boo/grub, which is not the one for hdb.  So you have edit menu
> > at first time you boot with hdb.  After boot the system, you can reproduce
> > the menu by grub-mkcofnig > /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> >
> > Enjoy!
>
> Thank you once again.
>
> I'll catch up the above steps and then comment later.
>
> Ryusuke

I have finally succeeded to boot nilfs root without a separate /boot
partition ;)

On my Debian (squeeze) laptop, update-grub was also functional.

I did some trial and error when compiling grub2.  The following
packages were required in my case:

 - bison
 - gettext
 - libfreetype6-dev

And, the module didn't work for the stable version of grub(1.97.2) as
you mentioned above.

Until now, it looks working all right.

If you need any help to go further, please let me know.

Thanks!

Ryusuke Konishi