List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    [NFS] uidmap, map_static, ugidd
From:       Paul Komarek <komarek () andrew ! cmu ! edu>
Date:       2001-05-21 4:35:57

Hello,

I've nearly lost my eyesight trying to figure out the right way to do
fine-grained uid mapping with linux nfs servers.  I've found scant
documentation on ugidd and the map_static option for /etc/exports, all of
which seems old (though most of it has no date).  In particular, I haven't
found any explanation why map_static seems not to be available now.

Grep'ing my way through the kernel 2.4.3 source code, I found the uidmap
option in export.c and export.h, but on only one line in each.  It seems
nobody is doing anything with this option.

Is there currently a way to do something like map_static?  The map_static
option seems perfect for my needs, since we're serving nfs (hopefully as
securely as possible) across several academic departments to a small
number of users, where the client machines are managed differently by the
departments' sysadmins.  NIS and hand-managed password files are not
options -- at this point, I'm not sure I could even coerce people to make
their UIDs unique across all the client machines involved.

Thanks in advance.  Any and all help is appreciated.  And I still have
enough eyesight left to RTFM, if there is an M that covers this.

-Paul Komarek