List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    Re: [NFS] Losing a NFSv3 connection
From:       Justin Shore <listuser () neo ! pittstate ! edu>
Date:       2000-12-27 18:02:42

At 5:28 PM +0100 12/27/00, Trond Myklebust wrote:
>  >>>>> " " == Justin Shore <listuser@neo.pittstate.edu> writes:
>
>      > Greetings all.  I'm having some NFS trouble.  I have two x86
>      > Linux boxes with a fresh 2.2.18 kernel with all the NFS options
>      > enabled, including NFSv3 and TCP support.  One box is Redhat
>      > 6.1, the other 6.2.  Both have nfs-utils-0.2.1-2 installed.
>      > I'm mounting home directories off of the 6.1 box.  I'm using
>      > NFSv3 and TCP on a nonstandard port number.  What I'm seeing
>      > every couple of days is that I'll find I can't access any of
>      > the files on the mount.  I can't even list the files.  It gives
>      > me a permission denied error IIRC.  A quick remount fixes it.
>      > It hasn't happened since x-mas eve.  No one is using this mount
>      > yet.  The mount is to a machine that is going to replace a mail
>      > server, which hasn't been implemented.  It's sitting there idle
>      > except for when I log in.  Any ideas why it's doing that?  I
>      > know NFSv3 and TCP support isn't the greatest yet.  Would I be
>      > better off reverting back to v2 and UDP?  Many thanks.  Hope
>      > everyone is having [had] a good holiday.
>
>NFSv3 support should be OK. TCP server support is not yet usable owing
>to weaknesses that have been discussed on this list previously.
>
>I'd therefore go back to using UDP. Whether you want NFSv2 or v3
>should be more or less a matter of taste however...
>
>Seasons Greetings,
>      Trond

I'll switch back to UDP in a little while then and stress test it.  I
was hoping to go all TCP but I can do without that if need be.  I'm
not sure which version will suit my needs better.  I should probably
try both and benchmark that.  Thanks for the input!

Cheers
   Justin

Justin Shore                    Pittsburg State University
Systems Manager                 Kelce 157Q
Office of Information Systems   Pittsburg, KS 66762
Voice: (316) 235-4606           Fax: (316) 235-4545
http://www.pittstate.edu/ois/

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.