List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    [NFS] Re: Simple Questions
From:       Oskar Maag <Oskar.Maag () ima-abele ! de>
Date:       2000-12-20 11:55:45

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.

Hi Ian,

> Bryan -TheBS- Smith <thebs@theseus.com> wrote:
>
> Er, I think you need to start lockd on all nodes involved (i.e.
> both the server and all clients) if you want locking.
>
> -- TheBS

You will be forced to enable file locking with certain applications
running on Your clients and using files on the server with protection
mask less then 777 or 666. And if more than one user opens the same
file for "writing" there is trouble!
 In my case it's CATIA CAD system which will simply not be operable
without file locking! (had a lot of trouble with it!)
 IMHO we can do without protection masks if we use single user pc's
without network  ...  which is out of question!

Regards
oskar
["Oskar.Maag.vcf" (text/x-vcard)]