List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    [NFS] Re: Knfs eats diskspace
From:       "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith () ieee ! org>
Date:       2000-07-31 11:07:19

Ralf Draeger wrote:
> IŽve found a strange error using knfs:
> Server: Suse Linux 6.4 with 2.2.16 and Red Hat 6.2 with the latest patches

Er, I assume you are using knfsd for SuSE and have RedHat 6.2 using
the newer patched NFS setup with nfs-utils 1.9.1.1?

> Client: Windows NT with OnNet NFS 5.0

Ouch.  Any reason you aren't using Samba?

I've had bad experiences with NFS clients for Windows NT (I've used
almost every vendor's product since the early days of NT).  Never
used OnNet though (although I've used Hummingbird Maestro,
Sun/Integraph PC-NFS and evaluated a few others over time).

[ BTW, one major issue I had with Hummingbird's NFS Maestro product
is that it does DNS lookups every 3-4 seconds.  Installing
Software.COM's BIND server as a DNS caching server increased our
networking performance dramatically. ]

> filer:/ # df -vk /export
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sdb2               496805    496805         0 100% /export
> filer:/ # du -sk /export
> 20796   /export
>
> As you see, although there are only 20 Megs of data on this filesystem,
> all 500 Megs are used according to df -vk

Er, maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but I was under the impression
that Linux reserves the final 5% of storage for root-only writes (5%
is the default).  Either way, I would never let my filesystems pass
less than 10% free for fragmentation reasons.

> I get this error with ext2fs and reiserFS. The reiserfsck utility dosnŽt
> find any errors on this filesystem, but using ext2fs IŽll get with
> fsck.ext2 IŽll get hundreds of messages like
>
> Deleted inode 15 has zero dtime.  Fix<y>?
>
> IŽd assume this is a knfs-error, since reiserFS and extfs make the same
> strange things.

I thought there were issues with ReiserFS and NFS?  I assume your
ReiserFS is the SuSE system with the various knfsd patches from
SuSE?  Any comments on how it works for you otherwise?

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith, Engineer                  CONTACT INFO