List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    Re: Possible to make nfs aware of a inotify watch has been set.
From:       Bernd Petrovitsch <bernd () petrovitsch ! priv ! at>
Date:       2012-11-30 13:37:20

Hi!

Since you introduced the "user experience" ignoring the fact that each
user is quite different - especially if it comes to the "Average Joes
using Ubuntu vs techies" department -, you should be prepared to eat
your own dog food:

On Fre, 2012-11-30 at 08:10 +0100, Stef Bon wrote:
[...]
> At this moment the different events look like:

Perhaps you should have used hexadecimal notation so that it is easier
for the usual/average users of source code to see the bits more easily.
In short: Please improve the user experience. Thank you.

> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_META_ATTRIB_NOTSET                     2
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_META_ATTRIB_MODE                       4
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_META_ATTRIB_OWNER                      8
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_META_ATTRIB_GROUP                      16
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_META_ATTRIB                            28
And that number seems pretty random - not a power of 2 or a bit mask or
the sum of the above.

> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_META_XATTR_NOTSET                      32
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_META_XATTR_CREATE                      64
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_META_XATTR_MODIFY                      128
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_META_XATTR_DELETE                      256
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_META_XATTR                             448
And that number seems pretty random too - not a power of 2 or a bit mask
or the sum of the above.

> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_FILE_NOTSET                            512
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_FILE_MODIFIED                          1024
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_FILE_SIZE                              2048
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_FILE_OPEN                              4096
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_FILE_READ                              8192
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_FILE_CLOSE_WRITE                       16384
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_FILE_CLOSE_NOWRITE                     32768

> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_MOVE_NOTSET                            65536

And from here own I'm too lazy to calculate (or even guess) if these are
actually powers of 2 or not.
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_MOVE_CREATED                           131072
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_MOVE_MOVED                             262144
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_MOVE_MOVED_FROM                        524288
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_MOVE_MOVED_TO                          1048576
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_MOVE_DELETED                           2097152
>
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_FS_NOTSET                              4194304
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_FS_MOUNT                               8388608
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_FS_UNMOUNT                             16777216
> #define NOTIFYFS_FSEVENT_FS_NLINKS                              33554432

MfG,
	Bernd
--
Bernd Petrovitsch                  Email : bernd@petrovitsch.priv.at