List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    Re: NFS cache
From:       hce <webmail.hce () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-26 12:03:14

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010 09:54:12 +1000
> hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:26 PM, hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I posted following message on list, but did not see it on list, sorry
>> > if it is duplicated.
>> >
>> > I have an application to use NFS over FUSE, if I keep typing "ls" in
>> > the same directory, the client NFS only sent GETATT, no more READDIR,
>> > all directory contents displayed on screen came from NFS cache. That
>> > caused many problems and I'd like to disable NFS client cache. But it
>> > did not work when I add "-o noac" option to mount.
>>
>> I've just realised that the noac is only for NFS attribute cache, so
>> add "-o noac" only generates more getatt for up paths, the "readdir"
>> was still not called if I keep typing "ls" in the same directory.
>>
>> Does NFS has another cache for directory structure as well? It seems
>> it displayed directory contents on the screen from cache as it did not
>> call readdir to FUSe.
>
> (almost) all linux filesystems use the 'page cache' for storing parts or all
> of files and directories.
> Linux/NFS uses the page cache to store the contents of a directory.  It will
> normally only refresh the cached directory when the 'mtime' or the 'ctime' of
> the directory (as reported by GETATTR) changes.

I guess you were talking about NFS client uses the page cache to store
contents of a directory. Is any way I can disable NFS to use page
cache to store contents of a directory? I have an application which
has its own cache, There are various problems as the NFS / FUSE does
not work well together expecially it took excessive large time when to
list large number files (100 K).

Thanks NeilBrown.