List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    AutoFS+NFSv4 server down = Client LOOOOONG timeout.
From:       Carlos_André <candrecn () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-07-30 12:38:43

PPL, I need put a CentOS 5.3 (updated) NFSv4 server to work with
Kerberos and AutoFS, but i got a problem: If NFS server goes down i
get a LOOOOOOONG mount timeout on CentOS 5.3 (updated) NFSv4 client...

Since i need mount some (3 to 6) dirs at user logon process, if mount
hangs, user logon hangs. Then i want configure it to timeout (if
server down) after 10-15 secs (MAX) on each mount attempt.

I already make a lab and tried a LOT of combinations, there my
findings (server DOWN IP: 172.16.0.10 / client IP: 172.16.1.10) using
basic command (time mount 172.16.0.10:/remotedir /localdir/ -t nfs4 -o
sec=krb5,proto=<tcp/udp>) from NFS client:

- Once i try access mount point using AutoFS (proto=tcp OR proto=udp)
it hangs for 189 secs (3m9s: real  3m9.001s)  until show error (mount:
mount to NFS server '172.16.0.10' failed: timed out (giving up))

Mounting manually using NFSv4 i got same timeouts of AutoFS.

The only way to get a lower timeout value is using only
proto=udp,retry=0 (AND not using Kerberos...sec=krb5) any another
combination i get 3m9s (sec=krb5,proto=tcp)

I tried change another NFS mount options putting a lower value (timeo,
retrans, etc) but they make no difference.... But i want
NFSv4/TCP/Kerberos and a timeout lower then 15 secs... :(

I'm using these packages (server and client side):
autofs-5.0.1-0.rc2.102.el5_3.1
nfs-utils-1.0.9-40.el5
kernel-2.6.18-128.1.16.el5

The only way to resolve this behavior is changing the source code?
There's no way to lower timeout with NFSv4/TCP in this case ?

Thanks.