List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    Re: [NFS] slowness due to splitting into pages
From:       Bernd Schubert <bernd-schubert () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-08-31 21:55:29

On Friday 31 August 2007, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 11:34:49PM +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> > On Friday 31 August 2007, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > > There's no guarantee the later pages in the rq_pages array are
> > > contiguous in memory after the first one, so the rest of that iovec
> > > probably has random data in it.
> >
> > Hmm, its some time since I last read rfc1813, but I can't remember
> > something like 'data are send in pages and pages may have random order'.
> > So I guess some kind of multi-threading is filling in the data the client
> > is sending?
>
> The data all arrives in one big chunk, in order.  But then we have to
> put it some place.  The kernel almost never tries to allocate more than
> one contiguous page of memory--memory fragmentation can make it
> difficult to do that reliably--so we just ask for a bunch of pages to
> put the data in, which may represent memory from all over the place,
> store those pages into an array, and receive the data into those pages
> in the order they're listed in the array.

Ah, now I understand, thanks! I'm still used to userspace programming (*)

Thanks,
Bernd

PS: (*) Don't know if I ever will really like kernel programming - it
remembers me to metal-organic chemistry, everything is a 100 times more
difficult than usually, even simple weighing 100g of a substance might take a
few hours.