List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    Re: [NFS] RELEASE CANDIDATE - nfs-utils-1.1.0-rc1
From:       Bernd Schubert <bernd-schubert () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-03-29 9:51:58

On Thursday 29 March 2007 06:12:45 Neil Brown wrote:
> I've finished fiddling with statd, and am happy with mount.nfs now, so
> it must be time for the first release candidate for nfs-utils-1.1.0.

While you are working on statd, maybe you can look into a problem I recently
had?
After the update from Debian Sarge to Etch, the update scripts dumped the
current portmapper status to read them in after the portmap restart. Well,
this was an update of a chroot and the portmapper never got restartet on the
server and so also the dump file wasn't deleted.
The diskless clients using this chroot read in the dump file, but also
couldn't delete it, since it was located in a read-only nfs-export (*).

The problem was statd, the dumpfile said that statd is running on a port <
1024, but since rpc.statd as user statd is not allowed to use ports <1024, it
refused to start up at all.

Well, while this clearly can and should be solved by removing the stale
portmapper dump file, maybe there's also a solution for rpc.statd?

Thanks,
Bernd

PS: (*) Somewhere in /var, which will become writable after a union mount,
which will be done after the start-up of portmap.