List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    Re: [NFS] asynchronous locks for cluster exports
From:       "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields () fieldses ! org>
Date:       2007-02-26 19:52:32

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 12:30:55AM -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> This is another attempt at a posix locking interface that allows us to
> provide NFS clients with cluster-coherent locking without blocking lockd
> while the filesystem goes off and talks to other nodes.

Marc and I have an updated version of this at:

	git://linux-nfs.org/~bfields/linux.git

(See the server-cluster-locking-api branch.)

Changes include:

	- bugfixes for GFS2; thanks to some setup help from Wendy Chang
	  and others, Marc has been able to run locking tests against an
	  nfs-exported GFS2 filesystem
	- preallocation of storage for conflicting lock in lockd's
	  testlock implementation, to avoid a race identified by Trond
	- Cleanup suggested by Christoph and others, including:
		- creation of posix-to-flock helper functions
		- rewrite of posix_test_lock interface to agree with
		  ->lock( ,F_GETLK, )
		- removal of some unnecessary parentheses, untangling of
		  some slightly tortured logic

We're hoping to get a detailed review from Trond sometime in the coming
month, after which we'll probably mailbomb linux-fsdevel again, but
any comments are welcome in the meantime.

--b.