List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    Re: [NFS] kernel+userspace based nfsd running in parallel on linux?
From:       Bernd Schubert <bernd-schubert () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-12-16 16:17:30

Hi Roland,

On Saturday 16 December 2006 16:20, devzero@web.de wrote:
> Hello !
>
> for a special scenario, i&#180;m thinking about running the classic
> userspace nfsd in parallel with the kernel based.

we are are already doing this for a long time.

> i think this _could_ be possible by binding the userspace one to the
> primary interface (eth0, ip 1.2.3.4) and the kernel based one to a virtual
> interface (eth0:1, ip 1.2.3.5)

Hmm, I thing this is presently not possible. I might be wrong, but I think
neither knfsd nor any userspace nfs daemon presently supports binding to
selected interfaces. Thinks they alsways bind to all interfaces.
We doing it by using different ports for the daemons, knfsd is running as
usual on 2049 and unfsd (unfs3) is running on another port.  One also needs
to tell one of the daemon not to register to the portmapper, unfs3 also
supports that.

[...]

> if there isn&#180;t a killer argument against this (does not work by design
> because...), i would like to try to elaborate to make this work. if this
> fails because there is no way to specify a dedicated interface to listen on
> - maybe this could be fixed with some few modifications to the code...

Any argument against simply using different ports?

Cheers,
Bernd

--
Bernd Schubert