List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    Re: [NFS] Poor NFS performance, kernel 2.6.6.
From:       Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust () fys ! uio ! no>
Date:       2004-05-28 19:19:28

Pĺ fr , 28/05/2004 klokka 14:03, skreiv Harald Hannelius:

> I guess (as a total don't-know) that nfsd reads and writes files in a
> different way than local processes do. I read somewhere something about
> read-ahead but that was in 2.6.0-pre-something..

Hmm... The current readahead code does a load of crap in order to
determine whether or not the user is doing linear or random I/O. It may
be that the nfsd server with all its multi-threading and out-of-sequence
I/O is triggering the random I/O readahead code (which of course aims to
limit readahead).

Cheers
  Trond