List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    Re: [NFS] lockd / statd fun (sorry)
From:       Gavin Hamill <gdh () acentral ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-04-27 18:15:59

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:49:17PM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 11:47, Gavin Hamill wrote:
>
> > but again, it's just 'a fix' and not The Solution.
>
> Neither is keeping /var/lib/nfs on a ramdisk.
>
> /var/lib/nfs should *always* be on permanent storage if you want to use
> locking.

Ah I'd certainly not taken that into consideration - I assumed (always
bad, I know) it would reset any locks when the same client remounted the
same export at reboot.

OK, given that the machines have no local permanent storage, it seems
that's solved the problem for me - I must disable locking completely.

It's fortunate that the rootfs export is mounted read-only, and the
home-directories export are never shared between multiple users. That,
and the users are not running very demanding applications.

Plus, if the worst happens, it would take only a few minutes to restore
a corrupted file from backups, or re-create their userprofile entirely.

Thanks for the advice, NFS has been around for a long time, and I've
known nothing about it until the last few weeks :)

Cheers,
Gavin.