List:       linux-nfs
Subject:    Re: [NFS] NFSv3 32k block size
From:       Ion Badulescu <ionut () cs ! columbia ! edu>
Date:       2001-10-18 15:20:18

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:14:44 +1000 (EST), Neil Brown <neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> On Thursday October 18, wlsarka@the-republic.org wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I guess I didn't realize that the server side of NFSv3 is still limited to
>> 8k blocks.  What issues are present that prevented the default size being
>> set to 32k?
>
> The server side currently doesn't support tcp, and I don't think you
> can fit 32K into a udp packet... but maybe you can.

The max size of an IP packet is 64k, and the same limit (minus the headers
overhead) applies to both TCP and UDP. So 32k over UDP is certainly
possible, in fact all the servers supporting 32k packets do so for both
TCP and UDP.

Ion

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.