List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: How does boot loader tell the kernel, the location of initrd?
From:       "Rajat Jain" <rajat.noida.india () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-03-16 5:24:30

> > I am experimenting with initrd and my initrd fails to mount. My
> > bootloader (U-BOOT) coorectly loads the initrd into RAM as I can see.
> >
> > I am wondering how does the kernel get to know the address at which
> > the initrd is loaded by boot loader? How does the boot loader
> > communicate this to the kernel?
> >
> > Any code references will be appreciated.
>
> Perhaps lib_mips/mips_linux.c in the U-Boot tree is what you are looking for.
> That code sets up environment parameters that are parsed by the Linux kernel
> later on (see rd_start_early() and friends in arch/mips/kernel/setup.c in the
> Linux tree).

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. However, I noticed
that U-BOOT passes these parameters in environment variables, where as
Linux kernel expects them as command l ine arguments. It wasn't
working for me untill I made changes in U-BOOT to pass them in command
line arguments.

Why is this discrepancy in U-BOOT and the kernel? Are other people
working on the (linux+U-BOOT) combo making the changes that I did?

Thanks,,

Rajat
-