List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: AbiWord, Text and HTML??
From:       Hal MacArgle <haltec () kvinet ! com>
Date:       2006-02-13 19:10:07

> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:15:36 -0500
> Hal MacArgle <haltec@kvinet.com> wrote:
>

> > Greetings: A problem importing a previously composed ascii text file
> > with jstar (joe) or, probably, any standard Linux text editor:
> >
> > I had a single need to convert this to html and found that AbiWord
> > was quite easy: ((Note: But not completely satisfactory.))
>
> [snip]

> What about "txt2html" ? I imagine it's available for Slackware...

	I couldn't find it at w3.linuxpackages.net, but fetched the
strange, to me, tarball and flailed away not knowing a thing about
PERL and CPAN, modules..

	I, honestly, don't know what I did but I ended up with two
files: txt2html and TextToHTML.pm, both 0644, that worked perfectly
as long as I had the paths right... The latter file wants to be in
/HTML/ up from the current working directory..

	Invoking 'perl txt2html filename.txt > filename.html' does
the job flawlessly.. It even created a link when it saw
"http://............" And the html file size was realistic; only 4X
compared to 10X for the Abiword conversion..

	I'm happy.. Thanks Ray and Peter.. Now on to the next crisis,
eh??

--

    Hal - in Terra Alta, WV/US - Slackware GNU/Linux 10.1   (2.4.29)
.