List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    oops Re: Change permissions of files to -xw +r for all other users
From:       Stephen Samuel <samuel () bcgreen ! com>
Date:       2005-07-13 11:52:53

Stephen Samuel wrote:
> Rhys Hardwick wrote:
>
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I know this may be a case of RTM, but I am getting confused on it.
>>
>> I want to change the permissions of all the files in my home folder to
>> read only for all users but myself, but to leave directories
>> executable so that they can be opened.  I have had difficulty doing
>> this for only other users, and have ended up -xw for myself as well,
>> even tyring many variations of the -o tag.  Any help would be fantastic.

> find ~ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod og=r

On second thought:
Presuming that you really just want to remove write access, I'd
try  'chmod og-w' or 'chmod og-wx'

That would remove the write bit or the write and execute bits,
but not add the read bit.  There tend to be some files in a users
directory that you don't want readable all (like ssh private keys,
cert files etc.)

--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuel@bcgreen.com
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/