List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: filtering .mp3 packets
From:       joy merwin monteiro <joy.merwin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-04-29 23:51:37

> Whether this is a good solution or not depends on what the perceived
> problem is.
>
> If the issue is file sharers tying up bandwidth to the Internet, this is
> an excellent approach. It will limit all heavy users indiscriminately,
> though, so someone who (say) does a network-based upgrade of his or her
> Linux host (an "apt-get upgrade" in Debian terms, or the equivalent for
> other distros) or downloads ISO images of Linux-distro CDs will be
> limited in the same way as someone doing a lot of music downloads.

IMO, a local campus LAN with limited bandwidth, a net upgrade of
your system is as bad as p2p dowloading....... as you have mentioned,
if bandwidth
saving is the only issue, some legit computers can be allocated more b/w for
such legitimate reasons.

> If the issue is preventing use of the Internet connection to download
> unauthorized copies of copyrighted materials, then this approach is
> probably not sufficiently targeted to accomplish what the original
> poster requested. It has the "false positive" problem in spades.

Totally agree, but if this problem had a ready solution, Linux based
or otherwise,
the RIAA would have made it mandatory by now :-)

> If the issue is inhibiting on-LAN exchanges of unauthorized copies of
> copyrighted materials ... well in that case, this entire discussion's
> focus on solutions at the router level is completely misplaced. If that
> is the perceived problem (in a college setting, I can easily imagine it
> being so, especially of the LAN provides service to dorm rooms), the
> solution needs to involve a heavy dose of on-LAN traffic sniffing. Even
> talking about that approach requires less abstraction from a particular
> LAN implementation then we have had here so far.

From my experience (being presently in college), I would prefer to burn a
CD with 700 MB of songs and distribute it to all the people who need it rather
than trying to send it over a LAN..... people who want to do it
_will_ find a way to do it......

--
<ed__> riel: if it were a vax, gcc would probably be an opcode

	- excerpt from #kernelnewbies
-