List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: Skype and more
From:       Peter <heisspf () skyinet ! net>
Date:       2005-03-31 1:44:11

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:19:57 +0200
Richard Adams <pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl> wrote:

> On Wednesday 30 March 2005 09:19, Peter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Slackware 10.1 kernel 2.4.29
> >
> > Sometime ago I reported that skype would not open and at the same time
> > after I had reinstalled slackware 10, xine and totem did not open anymore.
> > Richard Adams then suggested to reinstall slackware w/o the old /usr/local
> > and /home mounted, instead mount them after the installation.
>
> I suggested to you to install slack again without using you old /usr/local
> and /home dirīs to prove a point, the point i pointed out to you in a couple

> of previous mails, i am sure they can be found in google groups, i mentioned

> two things, one is the order of /etc/ld.so.conf and installing programs
> yourself and possably unknowingly installing them in /usr/local/ .
>

> > Well that worked only until I installed additional programs such as efax
> > after which neither skype nor the other 2 mentioned programs would not
open
> > again
> >
> > When slackware is installed it puts a number of library paths into
> > /etc/ld.so.conf. This list is headed by /usr/local/lib. Now I found that
> > this positioning was the cause of the problems. If I put /usr/local/lib at
> > the end of the list all programs open properly and I can install further
> > new programs w/o any change, meaning all programs keep on opening
properly.
> > If I just deactivate /usr/local/lib then naturally programs looking at
that
> > path will not open such as siag.
>
> The order of /etc/ld.so.conf is of course important, slackware has it (i
> belive) in that order because slackware does not have RPMs slackers install
> tarballs now in a tarball full of source code there is 99% of the time a
> program called configure supplied, one runs ./configure and all executeables

> and libs get installed into /usr/local, remember one thing if we have xine
> installed and slackware does have it installed in /usr/bin and libs
> in /usr/lib we can expect problems for the simple reason we have 2 sets of
> libs and 2 sets of exectuables for ONE program in our $PATH .
> To get around that so called problem ./configure has lots (and i mean) lots
of
> options, like
> --bindir=DIR            user executables in DIR [EPREFIX/bin]
> --libdir=DIR            object code libraries in DIR [EPREFIX/lib]
>
> There are around 60 different options.
>
> If you had used something like
>
> ./configure --bindir=usr/bin --libdir=/usr/lib
>
> Then xine would have been installed into /usr/bin and would have overwritten

> the version installed by slackware at install time, if you install another
> verion into /usr/local* then you will confuse your system and most
> importantly yourself.
>
> Now haing said that the chances are that a lib whcih got installed by one of

> the two programs into /usr/local/lib was incompatable with skype hence skype

> [...]

I don't think you failed. I understood what you said, except it did not fully
work that way. I have to correct myself when I mention xine I actually meant
gxine which was installed by slackware. I never had xine in /usr/local. Xine
was actually automatically replaced by gxine if i remember right. I installed
slackware 3 times following your proposal mounting the old /usr/local later.
However each time I then installed another program, not a *.gz into
/usr/local but rpm2tgz, skype, gxine and totem failed to open until I
found my solution. And every time I move /usr/local/lib to the top in
/etc/ld.so.conf I get the same effect, programs won't open. Then disabling it
the programs open. So back down to the bottom of the list.

I have not tried un-installing skype and see if then gxine and totem will open
with /usr/local/lib on the top. Since all works fine now I will not try.

 ----
Peter
-