List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: Syscall() vs _syscallN()
From:       Manish Regmi <regmi.manish () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-03-30 16:57:01

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:38:09 +0800, Alex LIU <alex.liu@st.com> wrote:
> Sorry for my unclear words...
> I want to know the DIFFERENCE between SYSCALL() and _SYSCALLN()...
> _syscallN() ( _syscall0(),_syscall1(),...._syscall6() ) is a macro defined
> in include/asm/unist.h while syscall() is a glibc function which I'm not
> sure. Thanks!
>
> Alex

You are absolutely correct.
_syscallN is a macro on unistd.h whah takes no of parameters according
to the value of N. i.e _syscall0() does not take any parameters
whereas _syscall6() takes 6 parameters.
_syscallN calls calls the glibc function syscall which is an assembly
entry in  sysdeps\unix\sysv\linux\i386\syscall.S (glibc source).

regards
Manish Regmi
-