List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    nic wount work with 10baseT-FD
From:       Thorsten Alge <mail () thorsten-alge ! de>
Date:       2005-03-17 16:58:48

Hi,

we have some problems with some of our servers. We have pcchips
motherboard with sis900 nics. the problem is, they are standardly set to
autonegociate and will work with 10mbps half-duplex but we do need
10mbps full-duplex.
we can set it to 10baseT-FD with "mii-tool" or "ethtool" but after
link-loss the will do autonegociate to 10baseT-HD again. we cant ever
change this by hand on a few hundred computers. Is there any way to
configure this on our debian machines by an option
in /etc/network/interfaces (/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0 on suse)
or the sis900 module option? I tried the opt. "media 10baseT-FD" but
that wount work.
on our suse linux boxes it is more difficult. some of these haves a 2.6
kernel and there mii-tool or ethtool wount work too!
has anywone experience with running a
        debian linux / 2.4.28 kernel
        suse linux 9.0 / 2.4.. kernel
        suse linux 9.1 / 2.6.. kernel
and a static configuration for sis900 on 10mbps and full-duplex
(10baseT-FD)?
if anyone could help,  it would be very nice if you could give me a hint
how to solve this problem - maybe it ist very easy to configure?

Kind regards,

Thorsten
                                  ,,,,,
                                 ( o ~ )