List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: Configuring mail\mailx to use an external smtp server.
From:       "Cristian CHIRILOV" <Cristian.Chirilov () ipsec ! ro>
Date:       2005-02-09 16:33:21

Hello,

I don't know for sure if it's possible to configure mail/mailx to use an
external SMTP server.

You can use nail instead.

ls -all /usr/bin/mail

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Jan  1  1996 /usr/bin/mail ->
nail*

man nail

smtp Normally, nail invokes sendmail(8) directly  to  transfer messages.
If the smtp variable is set, a SMTP connection  to the server specified
by the value of this variable is used instead. If the SMTP server does
not use the stan-dard port, a value of server:port can be given, with
port  as a name or as a number.

cat ~/.mailrc
set smtp=mail.example.com

bye.