List:       linux-newbie
Subject:    Re: How to I print to a TCP/IP Port.
From:       "Dr.Edgar Alwers" <edgaralwers () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-01-15 10:37:35

On Friday 14 January 2005 23:21, you wrote:
> No objections at all....
>
> .... i just don't understand what to do
> yet.  I am REALLY new to linux so I am make very slow progress.  Thanks for
> your help.
>
> Ed

slow progress is better than none ;-)
Enter "localhost:631" administration and go through "printers" -> add printer.
You will be asked for a description and a localtion - information data only -
and for a device URI. This is the ip address of your remote printer. You also
will probably have to choose the driver for your printer from the list of
printers. Try in a shell "gs --help", this will show you the list of all
printers suported by your software.

I would start trying to connect the printer to your box directly in the first
approach, and later connecting the printer as a remote one. Is your remote
printer a standalone device or is it connected to a server ?

A very good start is the cups documentation in the "help" of the
localhost:631.
Remember: try and error !
Good luck
BTW.: follow up through "newbies", not directly, as more persons may help you
and others may also have a benefit from this emails.
Regards,
Edgar
-